Recent research says that more than 60% respondents are not able to find a balance between their personal and professional life. Traditional thinking leading to more stress and lacks of concentration in work, hence leading to greater absenteeism and increase in attrition rate. Activities and social spaces are becoming ambiguous. Therefor we need to maintain balance between our work life and social life. Here i tried my best to explain work life balance.
Table of Contents
INTRODUCTION TO WORK LIFE BALANCE
Work–life balance is a broad concept including proper prioritizing between “work” (career and ambition) on one hand and “life” (Health, pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual development) on the other. (Source: Wikipedia)
MYTHS AND REALTIES
Before moving forward. Lets discuss what we think about work life balance concept. What actually the concept is?
Work life balance means spending 50% of your time at work and 50% of your time at home.
Work life balance occurs when individuals with a finite amount of mental, physical and emotional resources allocate those resources in way that they corresponds their personal and/or professional goals.
Women desire more balance than men.
- Annual Career Builder survey finds that 1/3 of men would quit their jobs to stay at home if they could afford it.
- Many studies have found that there is no gender differences in experience of work life conflict
- Men and women are both affected by non-work and work demands
- Findings in relation to gender differences in work and non-work domains are often weak or inconsistent
REASONS FOR IMBALANCE
1. Competition between associates and other employees at job.
2. Individual career ambitions
- Global Economy
- Longer Working Hours
- International Business
SOLUTIONS FOR IMBALANCE
- Don’t overbook
- Prioritize ruthlessly
- Learn how to say no
- Use technology
- Know it won’t always be perfect
HR SOLUTIONS FOR IMBALANCE
- Surveys of employees’ work/life issues.
- Set priorities for all work.
- Train line managers to recognize signs of overwork.
- Arrange seminars on it.
Make Work More Flexible
- Job sharing
- Sponsoring employees’ family-oriented activities.
Allow for Time Off from Work
- A formal leave policy.
- Paid childbirth or adoption leave.
- Allow employees to take leave for community service.
- Measured increase in productivity, accountability and commitment.
- Better team work and communication.
- Improved morale.
- Less negative organizational stress.
- More value and balance in daily life.
- Better understanding of the concept.
- Increased productivity.
- Improved on-the-job and off-the-job relationship.
- Reduced stress.
THE FINAL THOUGHT…
The key word is balance
- Find the right balance that works for you.
- Celebrate your successes and don’t dwell on your failures.
- Life is a process and so is striving for balance in your life.
Work Life Balance
- A balanced life style boosts the sense of responsibility and ownership.
- Build better relationship with management.
- Builds confidence.
- Contact Us to Submit your Articles
Dont Forget to leave comment below!